Whether you’re into real estate or wedding photography, there’s a blog out there you should be reading.
If you work in a creative industry, you need to keep up with the latest news, trends, styles, and thinking. It comes with the territory. From music to design, architecture and, of course, photography, there is always something new to learn and to try.
Following the right blogs can really help you stay on top of your game, and help you break out of a creative rut when you’re feeling stuck. Let’s take a look at a few reputable blogs that everyone should be looking at, and then dig a little deeper into several blogs in niches where you may find yourself working.
To Get You Started
- Fstoppers – A community-based photography news website featuring the latest industry news and original articles from photographers and videographers.
- DP Review – The most popular photography site in the world, packed full of reviews, galleries, contests and more.
- PetaPixel – A great site for beginners with simple tips and strategies to help you become established as a photographer.
- The Define School – An online photography school offering interactive classes and independent studies. It’s like getting the best information from a workshop while getting to stay in your own home.
- Creative Live – Online photography courses that stream live for free and can be purchased after the fact. Great workshops with some of the leading names in all fields of photography.
- Junebug Weddings – It’s as much a wedding blog as it is a photography one, but all the images are world-class and you’ll be inspired to do better on your next shoot.
- Rangefinder Magazine – A brilliant resource for wedding photographers with everything you can think of and a wonderful platform to showcase your work.
- Photography Farm – Another online school specifically for wedding photographers with loads of resources to help photographers with questions about running their businesses.
- Richard Avedon – He took fashion photography to the next level and inspired generations with his simple, evocative style, portraiture was never the same.
- Pastel Photography – Mindy Harris inspires with her luxurious, loving portraits of ordinary people and true to its name, the site features pastel colors and intimate details.
Real Estate Photography
- PhotographyforRealEstate – A massive resource of everything you could ever need for photographing real estate, including coaching, video tutorials, gear, contests and so much more.
- BestRealEstatePhotographers – A blog aimed at the real estate industry that extols the virtues of hiring great photographers, and tips on real estate photography.
- PhotoUp – A great blog for real estate photographers looking to scale and grow their business through impact sourcing and working with a dedicated photo editing team.
- Shutterbug Sports Photography – Definitive guide to wonderful sports moments and how to capture them.
- The Fuji Film Blog – Another fantastic guide to all things photographic; however, their sports section really stands out for its stories and amazing visuals.
- EventPhotos – Ideas, inspirations and opinions on event photography by the pros and for the pros.
- Mostly Lisa – This is a great blog posting on 5 tips to make sure you get it right at events.
Didn’t find a site that got you ticking? Then, perhaps, it’s time you started your own blog. Blogging is a great way to get noticed, to stand out from the crowd and to showcase your unique skills and POV. Blogs are also the leading way to increase your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so that more people can find you and your photography online.
All the templates designed for photographers on Folio come with an easy-to-use blogging template. Folio has created an easy to use platform that allows photographers to spend more time on adding content and images and less time trying to be a web developer.